Vacations are fun, but let’s face it – preparing can be stressful! Quinebaug Valley Veterinary Hospital wants to help you get past the stress and off to your destination by offering these tips to prepare your pet for vacation.
If your pet is travelling with you, make up a Summer Vacation Kit including:
- Pet vaccination records (If your pet is a QVVH patient, click to request their records. We’ll email them right to you!)
Dog owners – remember vaccines like those for Kennel Cough and Canine Influenza should be given AT LEAST 2 weeks prior to your travels! If your dog has never had these vaccines, they need to start a SERIES of them AT LEAST 1 month prior!
- Any current prescriptions, including monthly heartworm preventatives if they will come due while you’re away!
- Food, water bottle, portable water bowl, food bowl
- Our downloadable Pet First Aid Booklet, which includes tips on using Benadryl to help with your dog’s travel anxiety.
- The QVVH Vet App – available in the iTunes or Google Play Store. You can send us fun Pet Postcard pics of your pet along the way (like the image above) or use the Tap 2 Call feature in an emergency.
If your pet is staying at a trusted kenneling facility, you can use the same list to help their staff. The more prepared you are, the less stressed your pet will be.